Sunday, November 30, 2008
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Anyway, Mandee and Jack headed to Peoria last Friday night and Saturday we got up with the Sun and began what, according to Rand McNally, should have been a seven hour trip. Apparently Rand has never made the trip with two 6 month olds because 10 hours after we parted ways with my driveway we checked into our hotel.
That night, our friends Bethanne, her mom, Wilton, Shannon, Wade, Kaitlin, Kyle, Jeremy, Krystal, Wyatt, Westin, Zoey and Mandee, Jack, Sam and I hung out in our room and at the very cool hotel pool. The kids swam and us moms chatted it up.
Sunday morning, Mandee and I got the kids ready, then they napped while Mandee and I got everything else ready. They also had time to play for a bit, baby style.
Next, we headed to Bethanne's house for a candle party and some wine. There we got to also meet Patrick (B's hubby) and Mickey and Piper. And of course drank some Oliver wine!
Top row, L - R: Me, Sam, Bethanne, Wilton, Shannon, Mickey and Piper
Bottom row, L - R: Krystal, Zoey, Mandee and Jack
After the party we headed to Outback for dinner and more drinks. Sam proved that she, unlike some people, is a carnivore. Yummy Mickey!
Monday morning, we packed up and headed home. And we got it down to nine hours that time! All in all, a pretty great weekend!
Now, about the Iowa hating part, read below.
Top Ten Things to remember when traveling to Minnesota:
- Six different McDonalds. Six different menus. Come on... Who doesn't have sweet T and coffee??
- Rand McNally isn't always right. An atlas would be nice to have in the car.
- When you DON'T have an atlas, just have Mandee pick up a lesbian at a gas station. They give away free maps of Iowa.
- Minnesota is cold. Pack an ice scraper.
- When you don't have an ice scraper, a drivers license works well.
- Don't drive 87 mph in a 65. Apparently, that's against the law.
- When getting pulled over for going 87 mph, pinching the kids to produce tears does NOT gain sympathy from the cop. Nor does it make the pain of a $185 ticket any less brutal.
- It's important to have a not-expired insurance card in your car as well. See number 6 and 7, above.
- U-turns are a way of life in Iowa. Especially when you get lost (see number 2 above).
- Laugh often - then cry when you wake up the kids.
Proof I have a lead foot:
Thanks for the hospitality, Minnesota!
Friday, November 21, 2008
This weekend the Ralphs are traveling... Jay is going to Purdue for the game, Addi is going to Indianapolis, and Sam and I are headed to Minnesota to visit my online friends.
Have a great weekend everyone!
Monday, November 17, 2008
Saturday, November 15, 2008
So, I called her over and asked her why in the world she would do that. Granted, it's better than swallowing it, but not by much. I was planning out my lecture in my head but she explained to me she put it there so she could find it and eat it after lunch. Made total sense to her. At least that's one person who got it.
Friday, November 14, 2008
- She started eating solid foods a few weeks ago but has only had cereal and sweet potatoes. And she hates the cereal.
- She is a pacifier lover, just like her sister.
- One of her favorite pastimes is chewing on Mommy's face. I think she's "kissing" me.
- She is a great sleeper... She sleeps all night in her own bed (most of the time).
- She LOVES her sister. Addi can make her laugh at any time.
- She can sit up but can't get there on her own quite yet.
We tried to explain to Addi that today was Sam's 1/2 birthday and she totally didn't get it. She kept yelling that HER birthday was next. As always, everything should be all about HER. I don't know WHERE she gets her desire to be the center of attention all the time. ;)
The nice bonus? Jay is working out and eating better too. So, we can both be Hot for the Holidays!
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Monday, November 10, 2008
Exhibit A: Addi is trying to put her shoes on and is acting like they are too far away. I said, "Come on, Dora! You can do it! Get a rope out of your backpack and reach those shoes!" and she reached around, pulled out a pretend rope, and pulled herself to the shoes. I said, "Wow Dora, way to go over that river!" and I got back an exasperated sigh, an eye roll, and a "Mommy, it was a mountain." Well, duh.
Exhibit B: We were in Bob Evan's enjoying breakfast when Addi starts growling at me. I said, "Hi, baby jaguar!" (a friend of Diego's) and again, I got the sigh, eye roll, and "Mommy, I'm a baby tiger." Stupid me.
Exhibit C: Addi and I were walking down the road and she stopped to play at a mailbox. I said, "Come on, Addi, let's not stop to play," and back I get the popular sigh and "Uh, Mommy, I'm not playing, I'm pooping."
Sunday, November 9, 2008
So now we either have a pricey clothes hanger in our room, or a get fit machine. I'm going with number two. So tomorrow morning, I start my workout journey. Wish me luck!
Today, however, I only have one noble cause.
To go back to Tuesday morning when I announced to the world (and obviously laughed in fate's face) and said that Addi never asked "Why" like so many kids do.
Because it's really annoying.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
It's also GREAT weather for one more thing.
To take DOWN all the political signs.
Thank you very much.
Sunday, November 2, 2008
A few weeks ago we asked Addi what she wanted her and Sam to be and she said "Bees". She is very into The Bee Movie so that was no surprise to us. Then one day after talking like a pirate for a few hours she changed her mind. She said "ARRRRRH Matey!" and "Walk the plank!" so Jay picked up a pirate costume that night at the store. He brought it home and Addi said, "Yeah! I'll be a pirate!" and we called Grandpa and he asked what she was going to be and she joyfully exclaimed, "A robot!" Kids.
After getting her back on the pirate ship we went in search of a costume for Sam. A parrot, we decided, would be the perfect complement for this pirate.
But, apparently parrots were popular this year. We couldn't find the right size. So, while I shopped for new shoes Jay went in search of a costume and came back with this:
Oh and for those wondering about my diet........ I have two words for you: Halloween Candy. The diet officially starts tomorrow.