Saturday, January 10, 2009

Patience is a virtue

And I am SO not virtuous today.

Let me back up a bit. Last Sunday, we made the trek home from Indy after our glorious vacation. We then spent the rest of Sunday running around like maniacs, preparing for the week ahead. Not only did we have to go back to work after our two week hiatus, but the kids started a new school on Monday, so we had to mentally and physically prepare the entire family for that too. I also had to "come down" from our travels, which apparently has taken much longer than I would have thought.

Here's something most people know about me: I'm pretty superstitious (read: neurotic). For example, prior to us flying to Florida, I insisted that we get our Wills in order. Just in case.

Because THIS is the only type of plane I am totally comfortable with.

See, even though I have jumped OUT of a plane before, I hate flying. Now I DO enjoy the speediness of the plane, assuming there is no fog in Atlanta. And I am very much aware that I am more likely to die in a car accident versus a plane crash. However, I don't like flying now that I have kids. So the wills were necessary because, superstitiously, I thought if we had them in order, we wouldn't die. If we spit in the face of fate, then of course we'd die in a fiery crash.

Hey, I said I was neurotic.

And obviously, we were perfectly safe and made it home fine. But I really and trully think that the stress of the layover mixed with being stressed over crashing totally wore me out in ways I had no idea would happen.

Monday was fine, the kids loved school, blah blah blah. Tuesday was fine, albeit a bit... longer than Monday. Kids still loved school, hooray. But by Wednesday, I felt as if I had been hit over the head by some sort of tired stick. Concentration took a backseat to pure survival, and sleep was all I could think about. Until 10 p.m. of course when I'd be wide awake each night.

Fast forward to today. The kids were both up by 8. By 8:30 Jay had asked me to go back to bed and wake up on the good side of the bed because I was a grump. And it just went downhill from there.

By noon, I asked if it were Monday yet, so we could go back to work. Now I love my kids. But everything they did today (OK, everything Addi did) drove me nuts. And I know it was way more ME than THEM. And everything I did drove Jay nuts.

We are the picture of harmony at the Ralph house.

Kum-by-ah, my Lord.... Chant with me! Kum-by-ah!

Tomorrow will be better. Tomorrow will be better. Tomorrow will be better. Tomorrow will be better.....

1 comment:

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

I'm am SO with you on this. Jason and I have taken a few vacations without the kids that involve plane rides & I hate that part of it! I'm totally fine if all four of us are flying together, but if it's just the two of us, it stresses me out. I've actually considered having us take separate flights.......

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...